The Richardson Team’s guide to prepare your property for the spring market.
Every property owner would like to see top dollar for their property. A common question we are asked is what can I or do I need to do to attract a buyer and get an offer I am happy with? Here are some tips to stage your home – it’s just like going on a first date. Make a great first impression! Set yourself up for success in selling your home fast with these tips.
- Make sure the curb appeal is perfect. This is the first and lasting impression for the buyer. In winter, shoveled walks and seasonal planters on the porch are inviting and keep the well maintained look. Summer means manicured lawns, power washed siding and walkways, and bright summer planters on the porch, paint your front threshold, add some soft solar landscape lighting and voila – an inviting welcome to the potential buyer.
- The front door says welcome. The front door is the gateway to your home, be sure that the paint is fresh and current, the threshold is freshly painted, the hinges are rust free. Perhaps an eye catching red door with potted red geraniums…. Remember to clean all cobwebs and ensure the glass is sparkling.
- A pleasant odour when one enters the home is huge! Unpleasant odours can scare away even the most motivated buyers. Try for a soft pleasant smell. Not too many room fresheners and no heavy spiced food odour. If you have pets, steam clean carpeted areas.
- Get rid of the clutter. If you are serious about selling your home, ALL CLUTTER MUST GO! This may mean renting a storage unit for a month or two, but it is absolutely worth it. Clean surfaces, cupboards and counters equal a better use of space for potential buyers.
- Make sure your home is Spotlessly Clean. This is the simplest and certainly the cheapest item in making a good first impression. From crystal clear windows and shining floors to spotless countertops, and scrubbed grout this step is crucial. You may want to consider hiring a cleaning company to do some of the dirty work and help keep the home spotless between showings. Don’t skip this step – A clean home sells faster and for more money.
- A taxidermist is not your decorator. We once tried to show a house where walls were filled with mounted moose and deer heads. Our potential buyers turned around and walked back to the car.
- Open up those closets. Buyers will want to see inside the closets. Move those winter coats and shoe boxes – open up the space to give the impression of “plenty of room”.
- Follow the Richardson Team’s advice!
Now is the time to list, and we want your listing! Last year Royal LePage Lakes of Muskoka was the number one brokerage in Muskoka, with a impressive 38% of the total market share! On Lake of Bays, The Richardson Team had more transactions (sold and sales) than any other office. On March 31st, 2017 The Richardson team will be headed to the Cottage Life Show, where we will showcase all our exclusive waterfront listings to approximately 40,000 show attendees.
Contact Jay today! 705-571-2118
What a memorable Family Day! Thank you sincerely on two accounts. Firstly, thank you for the quick sale of our farmhouse. Three weeks from listing to a SOLD sign has got to be a bit of a record! You were beyond professional throughout the process and were more than helpful every step of the way. ~ Michael & Susan L.